Foothill SLI STEM Summer Internship Scholarship 2021: STEM-Away Internship
Through the Science Learning institute (SLI), 4-5 Foothill College students will have an opportunity to participate in a virtual computer science internship with STEM-Away in any of the following areas: machine learning, cloud computing, hardware engineering, full stack, UX and UI, bioinformatics.
STEM-Away is a mission-driven for-profit company and online platform that provides virtual summer internships for college students and junior professionals. For more information, please visit:
- The STEM-Away Tour at https://stemaway.com/t/stem-away-tour-for-college-students-recent-graduates/503
- View the College Brochure at https://stemaway.com/t/stem-away-college-brochure/7039
- Information home page at https://stemaway.com/home
Summer: ~July 6 – August 20, 2021 (6 weeks)
This is a nontraditional internship where you will work in a team to both learn and execute a project plan. It requires you to take the initiative, to be comfortable with ambiguity, and to ask questions. As a fully virtual internship, all work is conducted online through the STEM-Away platform.
STEM-Away pretraining and assessment in the spring quarter. This will be self paced on STEM-Away’s online platform.
- Enrollment in ITRN 50 or 51 (depends on projected number of hours of internship). Course tuition will be covered by the Science Learning Institute or your financial aid.
- Two program orientations for the summer internship program in late June. One orientation is with STEM-Away and the other is with the Science Learning Institute.
Submission of a final report of your internship experience at the end of the summer. *Scholarship payments will occur in two installments and will depend on successful completion at each stage:
- Middle of summer – $750
- End of summer – $750
- Be majoring in a STEM discipline.
- Have completed 12 units of STEM courses at Foothill by the end of winter quarter of the current academic year (any science, technology, engineering or math course).
- Be a full time student at Foothill College for winter 2021 and projected for spring 2021 (at least 12 units each quarter).
- Have Foothill College as your primary school (more credits at Foothill College than at De Anza College).
- Full completion of the application, including naming a faculty/staff reference.
- Desired coursework and skills (equivalent experience and knowledge will be considered): computer programming knowledge and/or other computer programming language.
Priority given to:
- Students in TechCore learning community
- Students with demonstrated financial need
- First time degree earners (no prior degree such as a Bachelor’s or Associate)
- Fill out academicworks general scholarship application.
- Fill out supplemental application, included as a separate Google Form link in the academicworks application.
- Upload unofficial transcript to scholarship portal.