Foothill Pass the Torch/Dr. Jean Thomas Memorial Scholarship (Graduating/Transferring Students)
Dr. Jean Thomas was a Foothill College counselor for 36 years. As a counseling professional, she was fueled by her desire to do work that supported the educational success of students, particularly underrepresented minorities. Jean founded the Pass the Torch program in 1994. She led the program from its inception through development, implementation, and finally to institutionalization in 2002. This scholarship is a living tribute dedicated to the work she did as a Foothill College counselor and as the visionary behind the successful Pass the Torch program.
This scholarship is only for transferring/graduating students who will be earning a degree from Foothill College in the current academic year or will be transferring from Foothill College to a four-year college or university for Summer or Fall of the next academic year.
1. Applicant must be enrolled in at least 6 units at Foothill College at the time of application for this scholarship.
2. Applicant’s cumulative Foothill GPA must be a 2.50 or higher.
3. Applicant must participate in Foothill’s Pass The Torch program during the current academic year.
4. Applicant must demonstrate financial need: Applicant must file a current academic year’s financial aid application (the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens, or the California Dream Act Application at https://dream.csac.ca.gov for undocumented students who qualify for AB540 status) at least one week prior to the scholarship application deadline by 4:00pm. NOTE: Undocumented students who do not qualify for AB540 status should contact the Financial Aid Office for guidance about completing a financial aid application.
5. Applicant must be earning a degree from Foothill College in the current academic year or must be transferring from Foothill to a four-year college or university for Summer or Fall of the next academic year.
1. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate the Pass The Torch core values: Attendance, Preparedness, Follow-Through, Teamwork, Communication, and Commitment.
1. Answers to the supplemental questions will play a major role in selection of the scholarship recipient.
2. Additional funds may be available in case of a tie between applicants.
3. If you are selected as a recipient of this scholarship and will be transferring from Foothill to a four-year college or university for Summer or Fall of the next academic year, you must provide a copy of your letter of acceptance or proof of enrollment at your transfer school in order for us to send the scholarship funds to that school for disbursement.
- $500 (1 award available)
- Foothill College
- Supplemental Questions
- During the current academic year, have you been a peer leader/tutor with Foothill's Pass The Torch program?
- Please specify the year(s) and quarter(s) in which you've participated in Pass The Torch.
- Educational Plans (Please select all that apply.)
- Which is your primary school for the current academic year?